Sunday, July 22, 2007

2 Years Old!

McKay turned two this month. Happy Day! No more free air travel for him. Sad day. McKay woke up in a great mood.



We went down stairs and found presents waiting to be opened on the kitchen table. Do you like the left-over Christmas paper? McKay didn't have a problem with it. He's two!


Every few hours we would open a new present. I thought this was a good idea because he could enjoy each new surprise and his birthday could be an all day celebration! He wasn't interested in ripping paper. Opening the presents was not that exciting. Maybe he didn't realize that there was something inside the snowman paper.
If you look at Taylor in this picture, she is crying. She knew it wasn't HER special day. I knew she would have a hard time with McKay's special day because she's old enough to understand birthdays now and she wanted some attention, too.
So I wrapped a present for her and let her open it. It kept her happy and entertained for the rest of the day.











McKay really enjoyed his little cars and trains that he opened.

















But the real highlight of his birthday was this $2 garage sale find--the basketball hoop. Yes, McKay has mad basketball skills. He shot hoops all day long. When he would make a hoop, he'd yell, "did it!" and jump up and down. It was so cute. He played hoops for the next few days straight before he got tired of it.








This is, if you couldn't tell, McKay's cake. Don't laugh. For a person who isn't very crafty or creative, I think I did a good job. The frosting is grass--I even added coconut to the frosting to give it some texture. See the little flower sprinkles growing in the grass? And then there's the road which, I'll admit, is lacking a certain something. Maybe it needs a Sesame Street Sign or a bit of Oreo gravel. Oh well, we'll save that for next year.











Ally and Grandma B. came right in time for the birthday song. McKay was acting really shy when we sang "Happy Birthday" to him. He knew it was HIS song. We were all staring at him and he was looking away. He would sneak glimses of the cake every now and then.


Taylor was crying during all of this because she thought that it was McKay's birthday cake, which it was, and she thought she wouldn't get some. She soon stopped crying when she realized that everybody, even she, could have a piece...AFTER she finished crying.


We had lots of fun with Grandma B. and Ally. Ally, the kids, and I went swimming almost everyday. Grandma B. was such a great help with Maren. She held her every chance she could. It is so wonderful to have family visit.

5 comments:

The Marielle (and Parents) Show said...

WHAT!!! You gave Taylor cake on McKay's Birthday! Man, I wish my parents had been that soft.
---------------------------------Ryan

Mikael said...

I love your cake!! You do an amazing job, you should start a cake business.... haha.
You have such a cute family! Makenzie is 13 months and I still am not ready to expand our family, it seems like so much work!!!

Anonymous said...

It is so much fun being able "share" in your family adventures. It makes it so much more fun for us and I love knowing what is going on with you guys. Thanks for all the updates, stories, and pictures. We sure miss you guys!

Marcia Mickelson said...

Cute pictures. I can't believe he's two already. Ruben will be two on Aug 9. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. And thanks for the fun Jane Austen quiz. I was Elinor Dashwood. I shared it with as many people as I could.

Jenn said...

Hey Turbo!
My goodness the kiddos are getting soo big! Seems like not-too-long ago we were pregnant with Logan and Taylor! :)

Now, you have three BEAUTIFUL children!

(I always knew you'd have super cute kids)

Love you!